List of active policies
Te Whare Wānanga o Awanuiārangi will ensure that all reasonable steps are taken to maintain the security and reliability of its network infrastructure and information systems, and its hardware, and the reliability and security of information stored electronically.
All network users will be provided with a confidential network user id and password. Access to and use of information technology systems will be controlled by the IT department with the use of user id and passwords.
The purpose of this policy is to describe the IT security framework for the Wananga.
Information technology devices, systems and the data contained within are a significant portion of the Wananga assets and operational costs. The purpose of this policy is to ensure these assets, systems and the information stored within them is secure by:
- Maintaining a secure computer network to protect against information loss, wilful damage, unauthorised or inappropriate use, modification, disclosure, or misuse
- Regulating access to and defining authorised users of all information technology hardware and systems
- Managing digital/electronic data to ensure business continuity, minimise business risk, and maintain data integrity and confidentiality.
Both staff and student business information held electronically on the Wānanga computer network must be protected against unauthorised and inappropriate use and from wilful damage at all times. Access to electronic data must be carefully managed in order to ensure business continuity, minimise business and to maintain data integrity and confidentiality.
This policy applies to all staff and students who have access to TWWoA telecommunication devices and services. This policy also applies to all students who use IT equipment purchased by the Wananga.
This policy also applies to all non-Wānanga staff that make use of the Wānanga computer equipment or networks, and third party vendors and contractors.
This policy and procedure applies 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
IT Security is the responsibility of all Wānanga staff. Everyone has a part to play in ensuring that privacy and integrity of data is protected.
Adherence to this policy will ensure the following outcomes:
- There will be no unauthorised or uncontrolled access to systems, network and information which could result in loss of data or data compromise
- The Wānanga investment in computer equipment and network infrastructure is protected
- Information and Computer Technology integrities are secured
- The Wānanga investment in computer equipment and systems is protected and student data is not compromised
- To protect and manage electronic data to ensure business continuity, minimise business risk, and maintain data integrity and confidentiality.
This policy can only be effective if it is supported and embraced throughout the Wānanga by all users. Business security must become an everyday part of our work processes and is the responsibility of all staff employed within the Wānanga.
The Privacy Act 1993 places the responsibility on the organisation to protect information it holds from unauthorised and inappropriate access by unauthorised persons.
Relevant Legislation and Other Documentation
- Privacy Act 1993
- Copyright Act 1994
- Public Records Act 2006
Both staff and student information which is held electronically within various systems must be protected against unauthorised and inappropriate use and from wilful damage at all times. Access to electronic data will be carefully managed in order to ensure business continuity, minimise business risk, and to maintain data integrity and confidentiality.
Information collected and made available through the Wānanga’s information systems is to be used only for the purpose for which it was collected. Misuse of personal information is an offence under the Privacy Act.
The significant amount of information held within the Wananga network is protected by copyright and should be accessed only by the relevant and authorised person.
Wananga Policies and documents
- Telecommunications Policy
- Digital Communications and internet use Policy